Sunday 6 May 2012

To quit or not to quit

Week 3 : Begin with a brisk 5 minute walk then two repetitions of 90 seconds of running, 90 seconds of walking, 3 minutes of running, 3 minutes of walking.

Grr Argh!

This week's plan seemed like quite a jump from the plans of Weeks 1 and 2. Gone are the days of doing more walking than running. We're getting serious now.

What really stood out to me this week was the insidious little voice that suddenly appeared in my head and started to tell me how easy it would be to quit. "This is hard". "You're finding it tough". "You can't do this". "You could just quit".

From experience, I know how easy it can be to dwell on those poisonous little darts of negativity that creep into your mind, and before you know it, you've talked yourself out of either starting a project or carrying on with one. I can definitely be my own worst enemy and I didn't want that to happen this time.

So I shared the murmurings with my husband and acknowledged I was thinking about giving up. Giving them a voice out loud took them out of my head and I found I could look at them more objectively. This, along with the fact I can be a stubborn old mare when I want to be, helped me realise these thoughts weren't real; they weren't the truth of the situation, just an attempt to sabotage myself.

And just like that, the voice has gone.

I did my 3 runs.

I'm back in the game baby.

6 comments:

Heidi said...

Keep with it. Honestly the first one of a new pattern is pretty difficult but by the end of that week you'll be doing it with ease. Honestly it gets better.

Katriina said...

orright!! You go, girl!

Rachel said...

Well done you!

Recipe Junkie said...

You sound like you're doing really well - stick with it!

Funky Wellies said...

Happy to read this! Keep at it! :o)

The Last Slayer said...

Thanks for the support everyone x

Post a Comment

Template by:

Free Blog Templates