Thursday 26 January 2012

A good cause

Kate over at Kate On Thin Ice recently caught my attention by asking for 90 bloggers to join her in supporting Breakthrough Breast Cancer in a very particular way.

Breakthrough Breast Cancer is, in their own words, "dedicated to saving lives by finding the causes of breast cancer, improving detection, diagnosis, treatment and services". There's a wealth of information on their website, including everything you need to know to be breast aware. In fact, did you know there's a free iPhone app called "ibreastcheck", which includes a video showing you how to check your breasts and the facility to set a self-check reminder so you can monitor any changes in your own breasts? I didn't.

And Men, I'm talking to you too!

Anyway, Kate is looking for 90 bloggers to write about an important woman in their life in 90 words and to link up their posts using the linky code on her post here. The post can be about any woman that matters to you – a grandmother, a mum, a daughter, a friend, a blogger, a boss, whoever you wish. 

So why 90 words? This is because there are 90 numbers in a game of bingo. And why is this relevant? Well, Pink Ribbon Bingo have pledged to support Breakthrough Breast Cancer all year round with 15% of the gross revenue accrued through online play on the site being donated to the charity. Visitors also have the opportunity to donate a percentage of their winnings directly to the charity. Along with the fundraising element, Pink Ribbon Bingo and The Daily Mail online will be helping the charity to raise awareness by promoting their vital health messages such as TLC (Touch, Look, Check).

My 90 words are dedicated to someone who won't be expecting this: my sister.

We don't live near each other. We don't see much of each other. We don't speak often.

But you matter. You matter to me. Never doubt that.

I'm not like you. I'm forgetful, disorganised and hopeless at planning ahead. I try not to be but I always seem to be a couple of days behind where I should be. There's more but this post is about you, not me.

When you don't hear from me, it's not because I don't care. Please don't ever think my silence is a reflection of how I feel about you. It's not.

I'm very proud of you. You've always known what you wanted to do with your life and you've worked incredibly hard to be able to reach your goals.

You juggle raising your beautiful children with working full-time and the long commute that goes with it. You find time to be a domestic goddess. You're caring and considerate. You remember special occasions. You always go to see our grandparents when you visit. You're organised. You always make an effort and you have a listening ear for anyone who may need to make use of it.

You may not always feel it but you're strong and capable and when you put your mind to something, there's no stopping you.

You'll never stop being my sister.

I love you.

13 comments:

PoshBird said...

This is truly beautiful x x x

Mum of One said...

Wow. This nearly made me cry as I could say almost exactly the same about my sister. Lovely post. x

Anonymous said...

Lovely, make sure she sees it.
Thank you for the support too.

Pam Williams said...

Just beautiful, you are you and that's why we love you so much xxx

Modalconfusion said...

You have brought tears to my eyes.... STOP IT. xxx

Unknown said...

This is just lovely! Great to have found your blog!

Missing Sleep said...

Such a lovely post, your sister is very lucky to have you to I think! x

Anonymous said...

Aw, that's lovely. I'm sure she loves you just as much.

Helen Spencer said...

Very moving. If only we took the time to say these things to our siblings face to face (my big brother may just have a heart attack if I did!)

Unknown said...

Just lovely! I'm going to send my sisters a link to this page, you say it so much better than I could have!

Misha - TheBlingBuoy said...

This is a lovely post. I hadn't seen Kate on thin ice's request but I'll have a look now. xo

The Last Slayer said...

Thank you for all your kinds words. I've been finding it hard to say things out loud to those I care about lately - it's been much easier writing my thoughts down in my blog instead. It was very positive and quite cathartic to write this particular post and I think, after speaking to my sister, it came at the right time for her as well. So the lesson to be learnt is not to hold back - let the people who are important to you know x

The Perfect Romance Experiment said...

That is so lovely and for such a good cause. Thank you for linking up to Love All Blogs, Jess x

Post a Comment

Template by:

Free Blog Templates