Monday 19 March 2012

I have a problem

I  am a sugarholic. There, I've said it.

Today, I ate 6 creme eggs and a bag of giant buttons.

Yesterday, I ate a box of Milk Tray. I then shared a crunchie and a fudge with my husband before eating a wispa, a flake and a chocolate chip cereal bar.

Last weekend, I ate a lemon drizzle cake, a double chocolate cake and a madeira cake (and by cake, I mean a cake that was baked with the intent of being shared between several people, not a cupcake). I can't remember the rest but believe me, there was more!

I've spent a lot of time, in between the (daily) mouthfuls, trying to figure out why I'm consuming such hideous amounts of sugar and it's because I'm tired. I'm just so, so exhausted from having two little children; one of whom is currently waking 3+ times a night. It's a vicious circle. I eat because I'm tired -> my body then craves more sugar -> I feel more sluggish and tired -> I eat some more sugar.

I've got away with it so far because on the surface, my weight : height ratio is fine and I try to dress in such a way that my flabby areas are concealed and therefore "out of mind". But deep down, I know it's only a matter of time before my poor diet catches up with me and it is a truly awful diet. We're talking no fresh fruit, infrequent portions of vegetables, and food stuffs that are high in saturated fat or sugar.

This has to stop. I can't go on eating like this. It's making me feel really bad about myself and I'm sure my health must be suffering, even if it's not immediately obvious. So what am I going to do about it?

This is going to be tough but I don't think I'm going to get anywhere unless I have a 48 hour detox from all the chocolate and other sugary treats. And the thought of having to dredge up enough will power for those 48 hours scares me.

What am I going to eat????

I'll soon tell you. I'm starting tomorrow.

10 comments:

scuffer said...

I recently gave up sugar and it's HARD. The cravings will drive you crazy, but once you get over them you won't miss it.

The Last Slayer said...

Nice to hear someone else has been through it and got through it. Do you think 48 hours is enough or will I need to give it longer to try and get the sugar out of my system?

Musings from a mum said...

I gave up choc, sweets etc for Lent. It takes a week to get rid of cravings but I eat sweet fruit to satisfy it- mango, pineapple etc. I also cut out sweet drinks and wine as make me want to eat more sugar! Bit boring I know but it feels good not to be sugar dependent for 40 days! Good luck with it.

Clara said...

I really admire your determination to get a hold of this... I have no will power at all and eat very badly (5 portions of fruit a day??? 5 portions of treats more like!). But don't be too tough on yourself: this is the MOST intensive and tiring time of parenting, with small (and poorly) children. It does get easier.

Modalconfusion said...

Sounds like you have too many of my genes.

The Last Slayer said...

I'm so underprepared for a detox. I bought some fruit teas today so I can have one whenever I have a craving. Of course I didn't help myself by walking down the cake aisle and the easter egg aisle in the supermarket - didn't buy anything from them but felt so resentful that I couldn't! Based on that, a detox is long overdue!

The Last Slayer said...

Thank you Clara x I know I need a proper healthy eating kick but that definitely seems like too much to take on right now. Hopefully, once the sugar clears out of my system, I'll find an extra reserve of positive energy!

The Last Slayer said...

Without a doubt :-)

amumsim said...

God yeah, sugar is my saviour and my downfall. My problem's got so bad I've devised a single portion chocolate cake that cooks in the microwave for 1 minute 20 seconds, for when I've got nothing else in the house!!! I need help!

Charlotte said...

I totally sympathise! I need sugar! Hope your detox is going well! I have tagged you in a meme called 'Help I'm A Blogger' it is all about meeting new bloggers so I found you via the Love New Blogs showcase. Don't worry if you don't like meme's. Just thought your blog was great and wanted to include you.
http://www.thecrumbymummy.co.uk/?p=929

Post a Comment

Template by:

Free Blog Templates