Saturday 20 July 2013

Rebalancing my hormones - help needed

My body has spent the last 4.5 years either pregnant, giving birth, breastfeeding or trying to juggle my life and I'm convinced that it's left my hormones out of balance.

I know that one of the key ways to rebalance myself is through my diet but I'm a bit in denial because it feels like such a BIG THING to have to overhaul and I know it's going to be hard.

At the moment (and really for many years now) I am eating CRAP. High sugar, high fat and minimal fruit and vegetables.

Logic says that my body can't possibly nourish itself properly if I'm not eating nutrient rich food but, and I'm going to be completely honest here, I don't really understand food/the different food groups/and what I should be (not) eating for optimum health. Without that knowledge, my usual eating habits will just creep back in.

There are plenty of faddy diet books out there, but that's not what I'm looking for. I'm not saying I wouldn't be happy to lose a little weight, as I'm most definitely a lot squishier than I was, and my jeans are difficult to fasten, but I know that side of things can be tackled by a good dose of exercise once I've upped my energy levels and given my health a boost. No, what I need is something that will help me to understand the relationship between my body and food, what good nutrition is and what I should be aiming to eat.

Does anyone have any ideas or tips for me so that I can start making changes? So far I have:

  • Start taking a daily multivitamin
  • Replace coffee and fizzy drinks with water and green tea
  • Cut out sugar (how? and what to replace sugary foods/snacks with?)
  • Replace everything I eat with something better (!!)
As you can see, I definitely need a bit of help!

6 comments:

Unknown said...

I've just finished reading 'Escape the Diet Trap' by Dr John Briffa and that 'Eat less CRAP Eat More FOOD' poster you've included pretty much sums up the entire book!

One bit of advice for making changes is don't try to do everything at once. It's just too hard!

I now eat dark chocolate and avoid milk or white chocolate. This has made a big difference, but it only works because I make sure that I always have a stash of dark chocolate so that I can resist my son's chocolate buttons!

Modalconfusion said...

I should say that the hairy bikers food combinations and relationships between the foods works well despite the portion sizes that can always be ignored for a later day. But preparation and meal planning is key

Looking for Blue Sky said...

I think you have to eat for your body and people are different - I now have a condition which means that I have to avoid/reduce lots of so-called healthy foods, like orange juice, tomatoes and onions - but cake doesn't seem to be a problem!

(over from LAB)

Unknown said...

It can be so hard to get into new habits can't it? All I can suggest is for you to take a look at the blog my guy and I have just started www.beingprettystrong.co.uk. He's a fitness trainer and I'm very much not, so we're putting together tips and advice on how to make healthy changes. I hope its some help. You'll get there and feel a thousand times better
xxx

The Last Slayer said...

Thank you all for your comments. Lots of food (ha!)for thought. I've got hold of a couple of books and made a few small steps yesterday and today :)

Unknown said...

Very Nice Informative blog. The knowledge you are providing is really very helpful to me and it’s very helpful for the beginners too. Thanks for sharing this blog..
----
Tahsin
Testosterone Therapy

Post a Comment

Template by:

Free Blog Templates