Thursday 5 January 2012

Commercial break : vintage threads

There's a new meme in the erm, wardrobe and it's all down to that Mother Venting who wants to know the stories behind our oldest items of clothing. 

Well, Mother Venting tagged the lovely Mum Of One and Mistress Mummy who in turn tagged me so get ready to change your opinion of me once you see what's been hiding in my wardrobe!


I bought this cardigan on a whim from Bay Trading Company. It's a 3/4 length cardigan with 3/4 length sleeves and it's fabulously bright and bold, which I love, love, love! I have NEVER seen anyone else wearing it and while I suspect that speaks volumes about my fashion sense, I like to think it's because I'm brave enough to forge my own path in the world of fashion!


This is my party dress, bought from H&M and the photo really doesn't do it justice. It reminds me of the sort of dress Alice would have worn to the Mad Hatter's tea party in Alice in Wonderland. You can't really see but there's yellow netting under the skirt part of the dress, which really speaks to the "little child at a party" in me!

In case you're wondering, it's a coincidence that both my cardigan and dress have flamingoes on them. I don't have a thing for them...honest!


These are my favourite witchy boots and this photo is dedicated to Mistress Mummy who told me earlier this week, when I was complaining about not having worn heels since New Years Eve 2008, that something every woman needs to do is sit down, put their heels on and remain there. Advice duly taken!

As you can see, I don't really have any stories behind my clothing and although I have some pieces I really love, I wouldn't necesarily miss them if I had to give them up. It's not that I'm not interested in clothes. I am. I'm a big believer in wearing colour, rather than black and grey, and in finding your own style. But I've temporarily put that interest on hold until I've finished breastfeeding at which point I will be seriously indulging in some pretty knickers and underwired bras!

To tell us about their vintage threads, I'm tagging Margot And Barbara, Dorky Mum and Only Five Fingers. I wonder what they'll show us.

11 comments:

Missing Sleep said...

Loving the cardigan and dress, am so glad you didn't target me, I have nothing vintage in my collection and although I do own a couple of dresses, I don't air my legs to wear them! My legs aren't even that horrendous! x

Anonymous said...

OMG I looooooove those boots! Witchy boots are FAB. Fact.

I also kind of even love the cardigan.

Thanks for joining in :) X

Anonymous said...

Wow I love all of these! So pretty. And thet are definitely witchy boots! ;)

The Last Slayer said...

Hehe Karen, I'd love to start wearing dresses again. I find jeans much too uncomfortable since having babies. It frustrates me though that I can't find anything to wear with breastfeeding access. Am quite looking forwards to replenishing my wardrobe once baby is weaned.

The Last Slayer said...

Motherventing - I always imagine you as having a fabulous selection of shoes in your wardrobe and even more so now I know how much you love shopping! Show me Show me, and all that jazz!

The Last Slayer said...

Mum of One : I'm just pleased no-one's dissolved in laughter upon seeing my taste in clothes!

MargotBarbara said...

What can I say? Flamingos rock. I love that dress, especially the Alice in Wonderland vibe. How brilliant. We should have a tea party in celebration.

I also love the Edwardian boots. If they're a 38, please post them to my house.

What I really like about this whole post is that you've chosen some really individual pieces, and my opinion of you remains as high as ever!!

Love All Blogs said...

I love the boots - though I fear I'd break my ruddy ankles if I tried walking in them!

Unknown said...

Nice post! I am the opposite to you, with tons of navy and black and greys in my wardrobe, but I love people who dare with colours, so good on you! I actually quite like the flamingo top, it is almost like a strange art piece that one can wear. Isn't it funny how clothes look so different on compared to when they are just lying flat somewhere? Judging from the picture on your blog, you are a sparkly lady indeed, so please keep it going BF or not. x

Unknown said...

Wow! I have just realised that the sparkly lady is Buffy...so weird I didn't recognise her straight away. I thought it was you. baby is ill and clearly I don't function well on no food or shower since 4am this morning...

Bailey Ana said...

Love the cardigan! I don't have anything like that in my wardrobe though I would love to :)

Post a Comment

Template by:

Free Blog Templates