Saturday 21 January 2012

Once more, with feeling

You may never have watched an episode of Buffy the Vampire Slayer but chances are you know there's a musical episode. And what an episode.

I've been surprised to find one of the songs stuck in my head the last few days. I keep catching myself humming it and then singing parts out loud. I've even sung it as a nap-time lullaby to the baby.

The song in question is called "Going Through The Motions" and this is me. It's where I'm at right now. By rights, this should make me feel depressed but it doesn't. I feel strangely joyful when I sing along. I know what's to come for Buffy and I know that like her, I can pull myself up and find my place again. I feel empowered and just as Sarah says to Jareth the Goblin King in the film "Labyrinth", I can say to that little voice in my head "you have no power over me".

I hope you enjoy the video.



Buffy:
Every single night
The same arrangement
I go out and fight the fight
Still I always feel
This strange estrangement
Nothing here is real
Nothing here is right

I’ve been making shows of trading blows
Just hoping no one knows
That I’ve been
Going through the motions
Walking through the part
Nothing seems to penetrate my heart

I was always brave
And kind of righteous
Now I find I’m wavering
Crawl out of your grave
You find this fight just
Doesn’t mean a thing

Vampire:
She ain’t got that swing

Buffy:
Thanks for noticing

Demon and vamps:
She does pretty well with fiends from hell
But lately we can tell
That she’s just
Going through the motions
Faking it somehow

Demon:
She’s not even half the girl she-ow…

Buffy:
Will I stay this way forever
Sleepwalk through my life’s endeavor

Handsome young victim man:
How can I repay-

Buffy:
-Whatever

I don’t want to be
Going through the motions
Losing all my drive

I can’t even see if this is really me
And I just want to be
Alive

7 comments:

Wag Doll said...

I've seen various eps of Buffy, but never knew there was a musical one lol! Thanks for sharing! x

Anonymous said...

I sing this song all the time. I think it's probably because that's where I'm at too. Never thought about being empowered, thanks for that, it helps :-)

kateonthinice said...

Just a quick invitation for you to join the new Britmums Group that I am trying to get off the ground http://www.britmums.com/group/charity-connections-blogging-it-forward Would love to see you joining in.

The Last Slayer said...

You should watch it. The songs are really catchy and even though the episode is a musical, it's really very dark as lots of secrets are revealed and they realise things aren't what they seem with each other.

The Last Slayer said...

Glad I could help. The other one that's good to really belt out is "Give me something to sing about" as you can sing it in a really challenging "come on then" way and that can also give you a boost.

The Last Slayer said...

Thanks Kate. I've taken up your invitation and I'm sure you've probably seen me around there by now :-)

Unknown said...

VERY SWEET POST! the video make me laugh :) i used to watch Buffy but for some reason i stopped...i might download it and watch it again.

Post a Comment

Template by:

Free Blog Templates