Tuesday 1 May 2012

Showing signs of addiction

Week 2 : Begin with a brisk 5 minutes walk then alternate 90 seconds of running with 2 minutes of walking, for a total of 20 minutes


See how happy and content this cat is? That's me, that is.

I'm 2 weeks into my Grr Argh! Challenge and I'm feeling more energised than I have in a long time. The progression from running for 60 seconds to 90 seconds wasn't tough and I was surprised to find I'm already a lot more capable and fitter than I was a couple of weeks ago. I even added in a couple of extra workouts this week; a short but intense circuit of core strength exercises and a 30 minute power walk with the dog. It just goes to show exercise really does breed energy.

But by far the biggest transformation has taken place in my head. I mentioned in my previous post "Beginnings" that I'd started feeling happier and more relaxed. Well, that's moved on a step and I've found myself experiencing a constant low-level buzz of motivation; a desire to do more than collapse on the settee and zone out in front of the television after the boys are in bed. The only downside to this is I'm struggling to know how to fill those few precious child-free hours in the evening.

I have a few tv programmes I absolutely cannot miss and outside of that, I can normally be found with my head in a book but I'd like to have a go at something new; something that requires me to engage mind and body and which I can put down at the end of a night with a real sense of achievement. Some of the recommendations I've had from twitterland are:

Macrame or extreme potholing from Trifle Is My Nemesis

Hang-gliding from Claire Deeming

Stalking from Swallowsbird

Gardening or Terence Stamp collecting from SAHDandproud

Ninja pirate from Unsednamed

Quite a mix of suggestions, underlining I really should have set out clear parameters when I tweeted for ideas for a hobby!

So, what do you do in your free time? How do you relax? And do you have a hobby (or two!) you can recommend? I'd love to hear from you.

6 comments:

Katriina said...

I started studying Finnish (out of necessity, since we live here now and I need to know the language!) I wouldn't recommend language-learning as a good way to relax, but it is at least a satisfying way to spend free time in the evenings!

Funky Wellies said...

I found too that building up your level of fitness goes very quickly if you run regularly. Keep up the good work! :o)
And the photo is absolutely cute...

J.R.Barker said...

I draw, sew, knit (badly) write and cook. It certainly employs the brain and has a visible progression element that's encouraging.
The cooking tastes good too.

The Last Slayer said...

It's definitely a possibility Katriina. I studied French for many years but haven't spoken it for a very long time so I could look into some kind of refresher course.

The Last Slayer said...

I think it's a law of the universe that no-one can resist a cute kitten picture :-)

The Last Slayer said...

Sewing and knitting are both options. I started to learn to knit a few years ago but have never really stuck at it and I've been talking about sewing for a similar length of time without actually doing anything about it! In the meantime, I'm happy to volunteer as a taster for any baking you may do :-D

Post a Comment

Template by:

Free Blog Templates